Monday, February 10, 2014

Mornings and Monkeybread

      The past few weeks have been CRAZY! It's my second semester taking full-time classes and working two days as a nurse, but it seems to have gotten busier. Maybe because I didn't have any commitments outside of those two things last semester and have added a few things into my weekly schedule. Having such a busy schedule has mostly eliminated one of my favorite morning activities: sleeping in. If I wasn't convinced of it up to this point, it has now been completely settled in my mind: I am NOT a morning person. I let Joshua know this under no uncertain terms when he texted me "good morning" at 7:30 a.m. one day before my 8 o'clock class. I was quite unhappy about being awake at that hour, so I promptly replied that mornings cannot be considered "good" until at least 9 o'clock. Until then, they are simply "mornings." Needless to say, coffee is still a large part of my daily routine. 
      Last Wednesday was Josh's birthday and I decided to bless him with a yummy breakfast treat: monkeybread. One of our friends made it for dessert a few weeks ago, reminding me that I had not made the delicious, gooey bread since I was a little girl. I have such fond memories of sitting with my brothers around the kitchen table, cutting Pillsbury biscuits into fourths and rolling them around in cinnamon sugar before throwing them into a bundt pan and smothering them with brown sugar and melted butter. Because it has such a special place in my heart, I decided to make it a birthday tradition for Josh and myself. So, I introduced him to monkeybread making. It was so fun and even more delicious! I referenced two recipes in order to make the perfect combination of buttery and sweet. Those recipes can be found here and here. I found that the warm stickiness of monkeybread tastes even better when coupled with a hot cup of coffee on a snowy morning. Here's the recipe I used. Make and enjoy! (Warning: this is not low calorie OR healthy in the physical sense, though it will bring great joy to your heart!) 

Monkey Bread
4 cans buttermilk biscuits (I used the Pillsbury value pack) 
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 sticks butter
2 tablespoons cinnamon (I use more than others because I'm obsessed) 
1 cup white sugar 

Directions: 
Dump one cup of white sugar and two tablespoons cinnamon into a gallon-size plastic bag. Cut each of the biscuits into fourths and dump them all into the bag. Give the bag several good shakes - you can even use it as a musical instrument and hum a song along with the shaking! Empty all of the contents of the  bag into a bundt pan. Melt 3/4 cup brown sugar and two sticks of butter in a saucepan on the stove over medium heat. Once melted, pour over the sugary biscuits. Pop the pan into a 350 degree oven and bake for about 35 minutes, until the bread is golden brown and smelling so delicious! Enjoy with a cup of coffee and good company! 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Charissa! You know I'm going to have to try this....probably this weekend!! Thanks for sharing! Love you!

    ReplyDelete